Tuesday, January 22, 2013

California's roving reporter Huell Howser dies

By Chuck Woodbury
California's most famous roving reporter has died. His name was Huell Howser and to most Californians he was legendary. His show "California Gold" ran on public television for 19 years on most of the state's PBS stations.

Huell had a very unusual and endearing style. He would walk around with the person he was interviewing with a hand held microphone, firing away questions. He would almost always beam with happiness at whatever he was hearing. In most cases, his usual response was something close to "That's amazing!" He found everything interesting!

I had lunch with Huell years ago when I was roaming the West for my on-the-road newspaper Out West. Huell and I had sort of a mutual admiration society -- I loved his work and I think he loved mine. We stayed in touch by email and phone for years after that.

He died earlier this month at age 67 of prostate cancer. To me, it felt like losing a brother. But I know I was not alone feeling that way. He was loved by everyone who ever met him or saw him on TV. There was nothing you could dislike about him. To me, he was as real as they come.

He loved his work. After years on TV in Los Angeles he talked Wells Fargo Bank into sponsoring a show where he would travel the state celebrating its people and places. When he told me the story about the show came to be, it was like he felt he was the luckiest guy in the world.

I'm glad I had the chance to spend a little time with him. But it's sad he had to leave us so young. . . with so many stories yet to tell.

Listen to a three-minute tribute to Huell Howser on NPR.

1 comment:

  1. We all miss Huell, his personality and his wonderful shows are unique and interesting guides to California's Gold.

    ReplyDelete